09 May 2008

Scarcity breeds Desire

Ever since I married Janardan, I have not been a big meat eater. I do like it, and will occasionally crave it, but can go for weeks at a time without eating meat, and I am fine with that. However, as soon as I knew I was moving to Texas, I started eating meat like crazy, because I knew I wouldn't be able to eat meat here. When Janardan joined the church, the only thing his dad said to him was, "If you eat meat, I'll kick you out of the house." So with that story under my belt, I figured it would be respectful to not eat meat under the roof of my in-laws.

I have been here a week. Monday I started craving meat, and fortunately Janardan and I had a date planned on Wednesday, so we went out, and after a desperate search, finally arrived at a Panda Express, where I could partake of their wonderful chicken. And then yesterday I was already craving meat again. And tonight, I took a walk in the neighborhood and smelled someone grilling out. So, when Janardan wanted me to go get him Taco Bueno, I thought I would have a good excuse to go out and get a burger. But...I am in Texas, I don't know where to get a good burger (I am thinking Stan's type burger here, not some McDonald's crap). And this is probably what motivated me to start this blog -- I was telling Janardan I really wanted a burger, but didn't know where to get one, and he told me about this place called Steak-n-Shake. I don't know, I just thought it was sweet that even though he doesn't eat me, he tried to help me find a place to get a burger. He is a good husband.

Anyway, so the only real reason I made this a private blog is to avoid conflict with my in-laws should they happen to find my blog. And so I'll use it to write not just about meat, but about whatever stuff is going on there that I wouldn't want to put on my public blog. It's weird to make a blog private just to avoid basically three people from reading it, but such are the sacrifices made when appeasing in-laws.

Disclaimer: I am not actually a carnivore, but an omnivore. I am aware of this fact.

2 comments:

Emily W said...

I can't wait, I expect this to be very entertaining. I laughed out loud when I read the title

Beckie Weinheimer said...

Jennie,

I tried to be a vegetarian when Mary became one. I lasted two weeks. I was eating a loaf of bread a day and still the craving wouldn't go away. So I gave in. OH WAS MEAT GOOD! I can't find anything to replace it. I think it's a good idea to go to the library, because you can write alone (very important for writers to have a space they feel they won't be interrupted in) When I use the library I bring headphones and have some light music on so i won't hear the whispers around me, and two because you can stop and get a burger before or after! :)

Plus librarians are wonderful and if they get to know you will probably give you the new fantasy books as they come in, that's how i was for me in Leesburg. Now I'm going back there this fall to do an author talk, in the place I wrote (when the girls were home in the summer) and the place I read so many good books! I think it is so cool you have a private blog, it's a great coping idea, and good writing too. :)

Love Beckie