02 August 2008

How to get past having awesome parents

My mom is super supportive. Like...even if it is something she doesn't agree with, give her a little while, and she will do whatever is needed to support me. And that is like on big stuff, and the little stuff, she is just supportive of like naturally, like it is no effort and she is there immediately. So it is hard for me to look at Carol and not be disappointed that Chandra is not getting that treatment.

Carol came home from looking at wedding dresses with Chandra, and Chandra was still out. I asked her how it went, and she expressed disappointment that Chandra made the wrong decision as to which wedding dress, because she didn't choose the one that Carol likes most, but rather chose one that reminds Carol of a 50s-style bathing suit. I happen to share Carol's opinion, that the other dress was much prettier, but that does not mean that I think Chandra made the wrong decision. I think if she loved the other dress more, then she made the right decision. What she wants is most important in the dress-buying scenario.

And so I am like...mad and disappointed with Carol. I am like, step up and be a good mom. Don't pull this crap on your daughter. But I can't tell if it is just because my standards are too high because I have such awesome parents, or because Carol really is falling below the mark.

And it really makes me sad, because I know how much Carol's opinion means to Chandra. Like, she would love it for her mom to be supportive and be happy about her decision. She desires that, and it is evident, but everything Carol does tells Chandra that she isn't good enough, and that she is not as special as Janardan. And that really makes me sad.

No comments: