04 August 2008

H2O and all it represents

Janardan doesn't like tap water. This is a fact I got used to...oh about 15 minutes after we started dating. Ok...maybe it took me a week or two. I also don't like tap water that has been out for more than like...an hour or two. Water starts to get yucky after a certain amount of time, and I am very sensitive to the taste and don't like it. So we tried buying spring water once, and I really liked it, because I could leave it out all day and all night, and it still tasted yummy when I went to drink some the next time I wanted water. And Janardan liked it too. So most of our dating and all of our marriage, we have bought spring water and drunk spring water.

So when we got here, I started buying us spring water like always. And...she is always trying to sneak tap water (which Janardan doesn't like as it is pretty much tasteless) into his water bottles. When we went up to North Dakota, he discovered a type of water he liked even better than Spring water. Nestlee Pure Life. It is pretty dang good water. So he requested that I start getting that. Well...it doesn't come in gallon jugs, it only comes in 16 oz. bottles. (Lawyer's daughter moment - there is one other size of small bottle, but I can't remember what it is right now.) Anyway, so she is even more concerned about wasting all of these bottles now that the bottles are even smaller. And so she is even more trying to sneak water in.

The reason she is sneaking it, of course, is because Janardan told her straight up that he doesn't like the tap water, and why he doesn't. For those of you who have ever talked to Janardan, you may realize that this is a form of directness that is virtually unparalleled. I actually heard him say this to his mom, and so I thought that perhaps her water meddling would stop. And it seemed that it had. Until today I asked Janardan to pass me over a bottle of water, and I opened it, and I was like...this doesn't taste good, this can't be the nestlee water. Which of course it wasn't. She is back to her sneaking ways, thinking that he won't notice that she slipped in some other water, and then he will start drinking less water, and she will wonder what is wrong. News flash: He doesn't like you messing with his water and filling it with water he doesn't like. It makes all water look unattractive. It is like looking at a bowl of punch, and he doesn't know whether it's been spiked or not, so it takes away his desire to drink water. Thank you stupid woman.

And it's like the same thing with vegetables. Like she doesn't believe that he is actually allergic to vegetables. She says things to me like, "It's hard to get someone to eat something when they're convinced it'll make them sick." And I am like...he broke out in hives. Is that not something that concerns you? He always gets sicker to his stomach and more general ill after eating a variety of vegetables. No, you must be right, he is deluded into thinking that vegetables are bad for him, because he....likes being unhealthy?

It is no wonder that Janardan never learned to trust anyone when he could never trust his own mother. This isn't just hurting him emotionally either - this is hurting him physically. I am so angry. He specifically and very directly, to the point where it could not be misconstrued, told her that he does not like that water.

She is so passive aggressive. It is so annoying. As in that is something I heartily appreciate about the friction there was with Chandra. It was always direct, and I always knew what she wanted me to do, and she gave me the opportunity to respond (though I rarely did), but at least I could. When Carol is just muttering about stuff, it is like - I can't respond to that, and it makes me not care about it. Chandra got what she wanted, and Carol is not getting what she wants. And look, directness led to friction, which led to getting over friction, which led to...us getting along and getting closer.

As in I am glad I got to weather the Chandra storm, because it is better having her here now that we are getting along. We get to talk, and we are getting closer. It also gives me more fuel for being pissed off at Carol, but whatever. As in today she was saying to Chandra that nothing's certain. She can change the place she wants to have the wedding, just like she can choose not to marry Andy. I heard this through the door in my room. I just like...can't believe she would say that to her. It's not like in the situation it was appropriate at all. And I was actually surprised. Usually Chandra when she is getting ready to blow off her mother gets more angry and disrespectful, but she just told her mom that she really didn't like it when she said that. I was really proud of Chandra, and I hope her mom listened.

And...I really hope Carol gets some counseling.

1 comment: