14 July 2008

Bonding Over

Ok..so I get petty. Now, I realize that I am being petty because of underlying problems in the relationship - mainly that I don't think Carol cares about me, and doesn't think I am good for her son, but you know, sometimes it is fun to be petty. Because I can win.

Like...banana bread. Carol has a recipe for banana bread, which she calls banana cake. She says, "I don't think banana bread has 1 cup of sugar in it, do you?" To which I don't reply, because...I think banana bread probably often has a cup of sugar in it. It is a sweet bread. It is not bread bread. It's like zucchini bread. I would not be surprised if that had a cup of sugar in it. Anyway, so I thought I would look and get a consensus from the internet. Looking at about the first ten recipes on google, there were about 8 that had one cup of sugar (one said you *could* use 3/4), 1 that called for 3/4 cup and one that called for 2/3 cup. So...yes, most banana bread does call for 1 cup of sugar.

Well...in the middle of writing that paragraph, I became deflated. Chandra came and asked, "If you're not going to do your dishes, can you scrape your food off, because I don't appreciate scraping off other people's food." To which I said, ok. To which Janardan said, "Why did you say ok?" As in I don't really know what she is talking about in particular. I assume she is referring to a pan I used last night, and I am just like - I don't know what to do in this situation. The way I am used to dealing with things like that is soaking them, and then things come right off. But there is not really an appropriate place for soaking in this house, so I leave them to be dealt with in someone else's manner. Which used to be Carol, but now that Chandra is here, she is all annoyed that I am not doing more. That much is obvious. And I am like - it is not my fault that you are choosing to help your mom with the dishes.

It's just that I am making the decision to be seen as lazy rather than to be deemed incompetent. Carol has a very particular way she likes dishes to be done, and I don't really care to learn her ways, because it took Chandra however many years to learn it, and her mom still isn't happy with everything she does. So, there you have it. I am choosing to be perceived as lazy, but I still butt up against it, because it bothers me to be perceived so, because I have a reason for doing so. Oh well.

No comments: